Saturday, June 25, 2011

Montreal...

Yesterday was La fete nationale here in Quebec. aka Jean Baptiste day. No one I've spoken to knows exactly why its called Jean  Baptiste Day. I mean we know roughly who John the Baptist was, but what he was doing in Quebec is as yet unclear. We're staying with the lovely Jordan and Jared and their wee lad Mischa - our favourite place to stay. They really are some of the best hosts I know. We've been fed, watered and tidied up (access to laundry is precious). As I write, there is lego being constructed, painting being painted and a chill vibe throughout the place.

I was curious about going to Fete Nationale yesterday - curious about the Quebec sovereigntist movement since I spent time in Chicoutimi years ago. At that time, I did research on the 70s anti-imperialist roots of the movement. But everyone I've spoken to tells me that these roots have withered, and really, its xenophobic nationalist current incarnation is well worth skipping. We didn't end up going in the end. But we did get to see the talented Meg Leitold do a really cool modern dance piece in an alley in Hochelaga, and wandered the streets, chatting to Jordan, and creating long jump competitions in parks.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.republiquelibre.org/cousture/STJEAN2.HTM
    If you want to know about St Jean Baptiste day check the above link. Gian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in Montreal in years, despite it being my original point-of-entry into the 'material world'. Sounds as though a wonderful time is being had by all

    ReplyDelete