Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dartmouth/Halifax and meeting the parents.

We're on a coat to coast parental reconnaissance trip.

But I'll explain that in a moment.

We got to Halifax the day before yesterday, picked up at the bus stop by the lovely Pierre, a friend of our adored Bernie - who had relocated east a year ago to study ASL. Bernie returned to Toronto on June 1st, but has graciously allowed us to stay in his one bedroom apartment in Dartmouth - a short ferry trip from Halifax (covered by public transit!). I teased Pierre that he was simply conforming to the stereotype of friendly Maritimers. He drove us to Bernie's place - and will hang out with us while we're here.  Bernie's place is terrific - its always interesting to see the way friends build their nests when they leave collective houses. So I have to report -  bright bright colors to counter the grey outside, lots of windows, masses of music and sound gear, a great big monitor and a comfy bed. And some rather provocative pics on the walls - that so far, Sidney hasn't asked any questions about - thank goodness. But I've come up with my explanation in anticipation.... Its so nice to be able to spread out for a few days. To have our own space. Aahhh. I know its been less than two weeks, but it feels much longer. In a good way.

Yesterday we drank a lot of tea and coffee - and dashed around in furious and cold rain.. After a few errands, we visited our friend Alexis Shotwell's mum and brother at the Trident bookstore in Halifax.  Alexis and Chris let us stay with them in Sudbury last fall - and I find when I meet parents of friends, the friends sometimes make a bit more sense. She looks like Alexis and was wry and warm. She recommended a rather intense book about a true story of a man adrift that we'll read to Sidney. Apparently Alexis liked it at his age. "Adrift on the sea for 78 days!" something like that. There is a chapter on death. Also picked up the Hobbit and a sci fi book for Mac. I am personally not allowed to read fiction until I finish editing my manuscript. Because you know what I'm like when I get into a good piece of fiction (even a lousy piece of fiction). I won't do anything else.

Then we had a good visit with Alex Khasnabish, his partner Candida and their kid Indra. Alex teaches out here at Mount St. Vincent. Sid was delighted to play with toys that weren't the ones he can fit into his backpack.

Finally we met up with the Leitold clan. Many of you know the infamous Leitolds - central and solid figures in the Toronto and Montreal activist communities - Mike the lawyer, Matt at Dufferin Grove, Meg the dancer in Montreal. We can confirm that the fourth Leitold sibling - Jane, does actually exist! We met her yesterday, the day of her convocation from an occupational health program, and had coffee with her, with Matt, his partner Sarah and the Leitold mum Margie, who has recently started a booming catering business. Again, more pieces into place. Supernice to see them out here.

In the interests of my project of asking people about their perception of the Harper majority, I asked Jane. She told me that her profs basically told the whole class that they should vote Tory if they wanted jobs - because there is some promise of a big infrastructure project here that would bring 7000 jobs to Halifax. And that people didn't trust the Liberals, because they were arguing the project should go to Quebec. So people were voting strategically, but cynically. Now that's what I call a widespread attitude!

Now I'm going to do some work while mac and Sidney go to see the Citadel. If I get enough done today, I get to go to the Maritime Museum tomorrow that apparently has a display on gay sailors, and refers to a secret language they developed. I love secret languages. That sounds amazing. Will report back.

4 comments:

  1. I am learning more about you from your blog than all the years we interacted together. here's a couple of Haiku I did at a friend's request last weekend.

    Snow balls sparkling melt
    moments don't last, grow forever
    till we fall and die.

    A passing beauty,
    a bridal veil of blossoms
    fills the air with Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I go on tour I feel like it's the parent tour. Fun to meet everybody's people.
    Hope all's well! Send me an address where I can advance mail you treats!
    Love,
    meredith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the haiku .... very uplifting as one mozies across Canada by bus!!

    ReplyDelete