Thursday, September 15, 2011

Too-lost and Toulouse.



I don’t know whether to admit how much of a disaster this day was. But I know you, dear readers, sort of love the stories of disaster. So here I go. Of course all is well that ends well – keep that in mind. 

I had been in Geneva for a week – missing my lads and all that. After the sociologists left, I knuckled down to do some work – found free internet at the university and got some reading and writing done. I was awaiting my friend Marc’s return to Geneva and staying in his wonderful apartment.  During the week, I had a fantastic fondue, and learned the various rules around it from Marc’s lovely ex Claire (no water, only white wine).  

Once Marc and his girlfriend Leela arrived home, I decamped for the youth hostel. It was good – and cheap – at least in the dorm that I was in – about 36 bucks a night including breakfast. My room had four in it. On Friday I knew I'd had to get up early. I had to catch a train at 7:30 am to Toulouse to meet Mac and Sidney the following day. I also knew I had to be somewhere at 4 pm where I could run a two hour conference call to examine someone’s Master’s degree.  I was planning to be at a hotel in Toulouse.

So I needed an alarm clock. I bought one – a cute one that had dogs on it and was supposed to bark like a dog. Butt the trouble was, it sounded like attack dogs and seemed only to stop when I yanked the batteries out. There were no volume controls. So I thought to myself. I can’t do this to the three people sharing my room. After all, I always wake up when the sunrises, at least  briefly. I’ll be fine. And so I went to sleep last night, after a lovely meal with Marc, his girlfriend and roommate. It was reasonably early so I thought I’d arise at 6ish. 

But of course I didn’t. I woke at 7 am – with a 7:28 am train to catch. I grabbed my stuff and ran to the train station, backpack bumping –  sweaty. I get there by 7:20, and try to find the kiosk where I’m to print off my boarding pass. Not a chance. I’m trying to weave through crowds, I find a kiosk, but there’s no option for Toulouse. I get to the ticket seller place and there’s a line. I’m basically crying/complaining/swearing and beginning to make a scene – and my French is getting worse. Someone tells me that you can pay on the train. I’m desperate so I just run for it. But of course I’ve missed the train.  Taking pity on me, the French customs guy tells me that RailEurope tickets are picked up in another building. I thank him shakily and head over there. Of course that building isn’t open until 8:30, but there is a small sign telling me about an office somewhere in building number one where I can pick up the tickets. Whatever. I’ve missed my train. 

I go to Starbucks (argh – even worse in a land of amazing local cafes) because there’s free wifi with expensive  coffee. I need a plan B. I check the train schedule. The only other train today leaves at 2 pm, missing my conference call – which I can’t do. Its taken months to schedule the exam.. What to do? Then I remember that people here keep telling me that flying is cheaper than train travel. My eco-sense is horrified, but I check the prices. Indeed, I can fly to Toulouse for less than 200 bucks. And get there in 90 minutes. I’m in. I book a flight. If I didn’t have the money  and a credit card, I’d be out of luck. I return to the now open RailEurope.  They tell me that I can get a partial refund on the train tickets I had paid for. Good. Off I go.
I fly to Toulouse, all is well. I take the bus from the Airport into town and get off the bus when I realize I’m near my hotel. I leave my laptop computer on the bus. I realize this as its pulling away. The driver doesn’t notice me flailing along behind him. I run, sweaty again, to the Gare Centrale. There, a cluster of military looking cops direct me to the right area of the station. The bus is there, so is my laptop and I again, shakily, sit down and try to stop sweating. It’s really hot here. I now have 90 minutes before I have to chair this oral defense via teleconference. I get to the hotel, (small, good, red-light district). I  check in and wait. I realize I should get online to see if anything has changed and realize that my computer battery is dead. I need to charge it, but the adapter that worked in Switzerland doesn’t work here. Shit. I head out and find a shop and buy one. The new one makes my computer flash with weird surges and my computer doesn’t really charge – at least not quickly. Finally, ten minutes late the call comes, the student passes, and all is well.

What a day! I’m exhausted but so excited to see Sidney and Mac tomorrow morning. They’re probably in the air now. We’ve been apart too much – what with Vegas, the canoe trip and Geneva. I want them with me to start the next chapter of our adventure.

BTW – Toulouse is full of tourists, but is incredibly pretty. Windy streets with signs in Spanish and French.  Red coloured stone. I need to learn more about the history here. I bet its interesting. But a demain, a demain.  
And yes, I would lose my head if it weren’t screwed on…

5 comments:

  1. Oh Oh Oh!!!! So glad you said at the start that all's well in the end! But I too was in a sweat as I read it! It's 4:15pm Thursday here in Toronto and your boys must be waiting to board the plane at 5:00pm. Dad and I are almost packed and ready for our departure to Vienna tomorrow. See you in southern France very soon. love, Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2nd comment from Mum! Mac just called from the airport and they are about to board. All is well and they are very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this explains the Facebook post earlier. Wow. I would have folded at the very prospect of chasing a train with no coffee in me. Glad you and the laptop both came out of it unscathed, if frazzled. Give my love to your various peeps for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. Today will be much better I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up with you catching up.... what an adventure, Lesley .... soooh like Gerry I can schmell it. Well done you intrepid soul you. love and hugs, your auntie d

    ReplyDelete