Monday, May 30, 2011

Hitting the road

I can't believe we're leaving for our grand adventure the day after tomorrow. If you can call the Greyhound Tour a 'grand' adventure. Its been a long time coming.

The goodbyes, the sorting and tossing of the dross that I seem, we seem, to have accumulated; the painting, the quitting, the tying of loose ends. Its been a bit overwhelming. In some ways, it must be a bit like travel used to be like - like the visit my grandmother made to New York from London in 1950 something. Six weeks long and a sense that things would be very different on the road. But of course now we've got wireless internet cell phones.

Beginning a new blog to try to document this trip is a bit intimidating - one never knows what the tone will be. Will it satisfy people. Will it satisfy me? us? Its yet undetermined whether I will dominate this blog - or whether Mac and Sid will post too. I hope they post - but a 'we' blog will be different than my self absorbed ramblings. You should be grateful for that, at least. For those looking for salacious information - be warned, my parents and cousins may occasionally read this. I'll be using euphemisms.

Today we shifted from throwing stuff out, giving it away, and moving it into storage to buying more. I had to buy a new sweater, because in the flurry of preparation, I appear to have thrown/given/or moved it into storage. Out of regret for lost things, I bought virtually the same one again. Now I'll probably find it. We also bought new boots, a pack, a sleeping bag and a raincoat - because it seems like people need these sorts of things. We're going to look like what mac calls 'freshies' - people with no miles on 'em. That's just fine. I kind of want us to be all shiny and new to start this trek.

4 comments:

  1. what is the trip? Canada by bus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myself, my partner and our 6 year old are going coast to coast by Greyhound bus, then to France for three months. Northern Ontario for January, and then either Bolivia or Guatemala for two months. Then to NYC for April. Back next May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you guys get around! Sounds wonderful. I'm gonna miss you something fierce.

    Labour Day in Maynooth for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LESLEY! All my love and bon voyage! Please give serious hugs to Macadoodle and Sidvicious for me. See you in Genf!

    ReplyDelete